ALS disease Course of disease
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) disease
Course of disease
Table of contents
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) disease – What is it exactly?
- ALS disease progression – three phases of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) disease.
- Physiotherapeutic treatment in combination with the Wheellator.
ALS disease what is it exactly?
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a very serious disease of the central nervous system. It has been known for more than 100 years and occurs worldwide. Its cause is, with the exception of one, still unknown. The abbreviation for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is ALS. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ALS is unfortunately still an incurable disease. However, it also manifests itself in three phases of progression.
How many people are affected by ALS in Germany?
Every year, about one to three out of every 100,000 people contract ALS. The frequency of ALS is often underestimated. About 8,000 patients are affected in Germany. However, about 2,000 people die from it every year. The disease usually breaks out in adults, but children can also be affected by ALS.
At what age do you get ALS?
The frequency increases with age. Therefore, the typical age of onset is between 55 and 75 years. Meanwhile, men are affected slightly more often than women.
Request your free information package now to stay mobile with peace of mind!
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) disease Course of disease.
What are the symptoms of ALS?
- ALS sufferers report twitching of individual muscle bundles.
- As well as slight twitching of individual muscle fibres of the tongue.
- In addition, there may be a lack of or increased reflexes.
- For example, uncontrolled laughing or crying.
- Sufferers also speak of muscle cramps.
These tips will help reduce the likelihood of fall injuries. Fall prevention measures, ways to eliminate triggers for falls:
- Firstly, by increasing safety on the ground. Check the condition of the floor. Avoid soft floors in homes. (Such as carpeting in hallways, living rooms and bedrooms).
- Secondly, do not mop floors with chemical cleaning agents that lead to galled surfaces.
- Thirdly, install additional lintel posts and handrails on stairs! As well as mark thresholds and steps in a particularly conspicuous way.
- Fourthly, create a safe environment! Often small adjustments in the home are enough. These ensure safe prevention of falls. For example, sufficient lighting with motion detectors can be very helpful.
- You can also install an internal emergency call if necessary. In order to get help immediately after a fall.
How long can I live with ALS?
The life expectancy of people with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) can hardly be predicted due to the varying course of the disease. The average life expectancy from the time of diagnosis is three and a half years. However, one third of all patients with ALS live longer than five years.
Three-phase course of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) disease.
ALS disease progression
Active phase: In the early phase of the ALS disease. This is also called the “active” phase. Therefore, the affected person feels the first weaknesses in the body regions. Therefore, it is the first symptoms where the amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ALS disease begins.
- At first, the physical and mental abilities gradually become more limited.
Nevertheless, thanks to special aids, it is possible to make daily activities easier.
- This means that the negative effects of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ALS cannot be reduced to the life of a person.
- The autonomy and needs of ALS patients should be in the foreground as far as possible.
2 Phase in the course of the disease: Physiotherapeutic treatments in the context of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ALS disease.
- These include the education of the ALS sufferer. How they can better use their individual strength reserves.
- The associated physiological competences to be exposed optimally and without overstraining.
Further on, the main focus is on. To carry out daily activities at home as well as in public life independently and autonomously.
- ALS aids, such as the WHEELLATOR, are considered flexible everyday aids. With which you can move safely. In addition, you also maintain and promote your mobility at the same time.
What effect does ALS WHEELLATOR have in combination with physiotherapy?
The WHEELLATOR provides lasting support in adequately using the muscular strength of the entire upper and lower body. In addition, it can be used to a moderate extent.
Exercise has a positive, health-promoting effect on the entire cardiovascular system. This is often permanently weakened by a lack of exercise due to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
In addition, treatments are recommended that target specific ALS symptoms of the individual disease course.
What is the final stage of the ALS disease process?
The ALS sufferer usually notices an unsteadiness in various movements. For example, when grasping. Later, there is also paralysis of the arms and legs. There are also problems with swallowing and speaking. In the final stage, the respiratory muscles are also affected by the paralysis. The fatal thing about ALS is that the patients remain sane until the end.
The HELPFUL WHEELLATOR-
supports ALS rehab breathing therapy, enjoy nature!
- In the case of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), the strength of the respiratory muscles continues to decrease as the disease progresses.
- As a result, ventilators can support or replace breathing in ALS patients.
- Optimal ventilation therapy can prolong the life of ALS patients. It will also improve the quality of life.
- Therefore, the ALS ASSISTANT WHEELLATOR gives you the security when sitting. Thanks to a locking brake and the solid backrest bar.
Self-motivation and movement with fun in ALS disease.
Physiotherapy in combination with the daily use of the ALS HELP WHEELATOR. It therefore actively supports ALS patients. To improve their mobility. Or rather, to increase and maintain their ability to cope with everyday challenges.
- The use of the WHEELLATOR AID in ALS patients. In ALS patients, the pressure on the limbs is also reduced.
Because of this, their comfort and safety in everyday movements is maximised.
- The psychological component of the affected person should also be taken into account.
- A high degree of self-responsibility activates the patient’s physiological and psychological reserves.
- The resulting self-motivation in combination with the greatest possible autonomy of the ALS patient. Better said, it thus leads to an inner strength. As a result, complaints and a better acceptance of one’s own fate.
HELPFUL WHEELLATOR -
effective everyday companion for the initial ALS disease course in ALS disease.
For ALS sufferers of the amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ALS disease. Therefore, even during the initial “active” phase of the ALS disease, coping with everyday life is associated with some difficulties. Obstacles that are often not even classified as such by outsiders can make it difficult to move on in many places or, in extreme cases, even prevent it.
WHEELLATOR offers a wide range of options for ALS sufferers.
ALS sufferers thus have the necessary degree of foresight and planning. In this way, they can competently master the permanently recurring challenges of everyday life.
The ALS AID WHEELLATOR is an independent rehabilitation therapy device. The individual mobility and independence of the ALS patient is maintained as long as possible. The Wheellator therefore differs from all commercially available rollators, walking aids and wheelchairs. The daily activation of the muscle groups damaged by the ALS disease is promoted in a moderate form.
Innovation in walking aids – Wheellator rehabilitation therapy device
3in1 Rollator - Wheelchair - Travel - Transport wheelchair with handrim function
Use of the combination of walking aid and robust tricycle wheelchair with push rim wheelchair function to drive yourself. Due to the push wheelchair function, ALS patients are also able to mobilise physical strength despite physical fatigue. They can then use this strength to an adequate extent. In doing so, they can slow down the progressive course of the ALS disease by means of mobility and physical activity.
Thus, the ALS AID WHEELLATOR presents itself as a multifunctional aid for the ALS patient. Its physical and mental independence is constantly improved. Thus the Wheellator is a real enrichment. During the ALS disease as well as in the course of the different phases of the disease.
ALS AID WHEELLATOR, which will keep you mobile for sure!
Thank you for reading our blog article. 👉 In addition, you might also be interested in this!
ALS disease aid promotes mobility with symptoms
- stay mobile with safety!
- Subscribe to our Youtube channel now to see the WHEELLATOR in action!
- just like this blog post about the walking
- rollator with wheelchair function
- Multiple Sclerosis – An insight into the “disease of 1000 faces
- Independence & safety in everyday life
- how to deal properly with neurodegenerative disease?
- what role do mobility and movement play in old age for health?
- how important is mobility in the new nursing care Tüv?
- There are millions of people in Germany who are dependent on a walking aid.
Download our free info brochure about the ALS Wheellator today! Be amazed at the unique possibilities it opens up for you.
Image text source ©Tukimet Oy
Author: Mirko Borm 10.2020
What do we stand for as a rollator manufacturer at Tukimet OY?
As a rollator manufacturer at Tukimet OY, we stand for every person being able to move safely! More precisely, because movement is one of the most important basic elements for life.
With a focus on the needs of end users, we develop and produce high-quality products that make everyday life easier for people and their relatives. Our products not only create a better quality of life, but they also ensure that people can be more personally independent and take more personal responsibility for every step they take.
Movement – Independence – Safety – Quality of life
- What does it mean for people to be able to move safely, independently and at the same time increase their quality of life?
- A safe movement has served for survival for thousands of years! In contrast, a bad movement led to great dangers and even death.
- In other words, a safe movement means life, to have self-determined control over oneself.
- Likewise, life means interacting with other people in society.
- Going to town with them while being an important part in the family and society.
- Being able to independently manage independence and quality of life, challenges and inconveniences in movement. This means to be able to live a happy vital life, until old age, enjoying quality of life with friends and family.
We are open to new ideas and reforms and invest in joint university projects. We see through the eyes and hear through the ears of the customer and are always interested in learning about the wishes and needs of impaired people. Our vision is to create new things and fulfill wishes that help people on their way to more mobility and independence.
We invest in the future. With state-of-the-art machinery and our high quality standards, we guarantee safe and durable products that prove themselves in everyday use.
We have high quality standards and are proud of the fact that our walking aids carry the key label “MADE IN FINLAND”. The key label distinguishes us from competitors and shows our customers and consumers that Tukimet Oy not only focuses on quality, durability and sustainability, but also creates and maintains regional jobs.